Thursday, July 12, 2012

Happy Birthday to Richard Simmons!

One of my first introductions to fitness was watching Richard Simmons weekly TV show. When I say watch, I literally mean watch. I would sit and enjoy his enthusiasm, stand do a couple steps, then sit again. I wasn't fat, but I wasn't fit. My household was far from healthy and I was not encouraged to be physically active. I was raised by my aunt and uncle who always had a cigarette in one hand and a cup of coffee in the other. I thought vegetables came out of cans till I was much older. But, I always had a drive in me to move and sought knowledge on fitness wherever I could. Richard Simmons had a huge impact on me and still does. He has an amazing spirit and meets people where they are. No judgement, just encouragement. I admire that and hope I can be the same encouragement to others. Happy birthday Richard Simmons and many more!